2011 is fast approaching, 2010 is fast ending, and come January, HSKL will be exactly one year old. In light of this, it is my duty announce a few things. Here they are, in no particular order:
Membership fee to be reduced from RM100/month (professional adult) and RM50/month (full-time students) to RM50 to all.
Yes you read that right. We are reducing the membership fees from RM100/month (professional adult) and RM50/month (full-time student) to a flat fee of RM50 for everyone. There are several reasons for the fee reductions, but one of the main purpose is to get and attract more members to join the space. In line with the reduction of fees, HSKL will be conducting a series of activities to attract more memberships – such as university road shows. Membership is still for a minimum of 3 months, and members can choose to pay either every 3 months, or for 1 year. Check out this page on how to be a member.
Annual General Meeting, 16th January 2011
We will be having our annual general meeting on the 16th of January 2011 (Sunday). The meeting will be held from 10am – 1pm at HackerspaceKL. The meeting agenda has not been finalized yet, and will be announced in the next few days. Key to the AGM will be the selection of new committee members, 2011 activity planning, and so on. Stay tuned for more announcements. I am sad to announce that this will be the final AGM that I will chair as I will be relinquishing my role as HSKL’s President. Instead, in line with the Registrar of Society’s requirements, I will be one of HSKL’s three Permanent Life Member.
HSKL Security Meetup
The first ever HSKL Security Meetup will take place on the 11th January 2011 (Tuesday), from 8pm – 11pm. This is a monthly meetup that will take place every first Tuesday of the month (subject to holidays, etc), and the first meetup is on the second Tuesday due to the holidays. The format of the meetup is pretty simple: It is a 1.5 – 2 hours meetup with an hour of technical presentation, followed by Q&A, brainstorming, and lepak session.
- Monthly get together to present, and discuss security-related stuff
- Anything and everything about security (including physical security and hardware hacking)
- Technical/semi-technical in nature
- 1 hour of presentation, followed by Q&A, brainstorming, discussions and lepak session
- Every first Tuesday of the month, unless otherwise stated
- Everyone is invited! If you are interested in security, you should be there
- Free for members. We’re all about keeping knowledge free, but in the real world that we live in, everything requires money. Hence non-members are required a minimum donation of RM15. Your donation will be used for the upkeep of the space.
The first talk for the first meetup is titled “UniPwned! – Hacking UniFi for the LOLZ” by The Sexy Kambingz Crew and HSKL members. Here’s an abstract of the talk:
This 30 minute presentation will talk about the recent deployment of TM’s new HSBB service and the security aspects of it. We’ll mainly be focusing on hacking the D-LINK DIR-615 router which is issued to all UniFi subscribers. From stealing account credentials, to ways of building a router based botnet. There will also be a Q&A session in hopes of discussing other potential attack vectors.