The State of the Space, So Far
HackerspaceKL is barely two months old, but we’ve been quite active for the past 1 and 1/2 months. The month of December 2010 saw us finally securing a location in Damansara Uptown, and on January 1st 2010, we officially have the space. January has been spent on a few activities:
- We held an open day on 9th January 2010 for people to donate stuff. We also cleaned up the space. Photos: HackerspaceKL Preview, Dump Your Stash and Gotong Royong Day
- We bought tools for the space: HackerspaceKL Goodies
- We had our first meeting on the 17th January 2010: Meeting Minutes #1
- Our second meeting was held on the 30th of January 2010
In February, the space is officially open.
- We built 8 DIY tables, and 1 shelf on the 2nd Meeting
- We had our electronic workshops: Electronic Fridays : Basic Electronics
- We had a second electronic workshop! Electronic Friday #2 – The one where we built a Joule Thief
- We migrated the previous website which runs on Trac to Plone: HackerspaceKL’s Wiki Migrated to Plone
Our membership has been steadily growing as well. So far we have exactly 21 paying members (which includes 3 students). Out of 32 pledges (HackerspaceKL Pledge Page), 18 became official members. With the current number of paying members, we have enough to pay for rental and utilities, plus some money leftover to buy more tools for the space. However, we cannot afford to get air conditioners – this will happen in 6 months time after we are able to save more money, or someone donates, or we hit the original target of 30 members. We will be publishing our financial statements before Chinese New Year.
So what’s next in store? We will be continuing our workshops, that is for sure. We will also buy more tools, and start working on projects. The general feeling that I get is that all of the members (at the one that shows up) are eager to learn, share, teach and build projects. And this is a Good Thing(TM).